Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:15:11 -0700
From:      "Sam Bailey" <sbailey@speakeasy.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cannot boot to HDD after install

Well,

I had a problem at first with a SCSI CD-ROM, so I ripped out the CD-Rom and
put in an IDE one.  I can now boot from the CD-Rom, but as I complete the
sysinstall, I remove the CD-Rom and reboot, but I get a BOOT DEVICE NOT
FOUND error.  I am installing on a 20 GB drive, and I am using the whole
drive for FreeBSD.  I am installing 4.6.2, and when I go through fdisk, I do
set the freebsd slice as active.  The disk geometry matches that found by
the BIOS. There are two small unused portions, at the beginning and at the
end of the drive, that I am assuming are artifacts of the geometry.  I am
also using the automatic settings in the disk label, in order to create the
mount points.  Root is only 125 MB, so there should be
no problems with the 1024 cylinder issue.  I am also not using a Boot
Manager, as I will only have FreeBSD on the system.

I am installing on an ASUS P6NP5 Pentium Pro motherboard, with the last bios
update provided by ASUS.  Granted the board is old, but the drive is a
fairly new Western Digital 20 GB drive.  The BIOS on the board finds the
drive in the HDD detection utility and I have selected "Normal" as opposed
to "LBA" as the geometry type.

Any suggestions?

Sam