Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2015 07:34:11 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg upgrade issue

--wmPSXsFo22xNbQbgG1Ak0Ghc292vcBpXQ

On 23/03/2015 23:47, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> After the previously mentioned issue w/ freebsd-update, I decided to
> upgrade my installed pkg's while I was in console mode & logged in as
> root. I attach the output from the proceedings. I last pkg-upgraded
> about 1 month ago & haven't installed any new stuff since then. FreeBSD=

> 9.3-RELEASE-p10, running only GENERIC kernels & std. pkgs, w/ 1
> exception, libflash-whatever to support flash in FireFox & opera. Need
> anything else, just ask. TIA ....

You've run into a known pkg bug which is fixed in what will be the next
release.  In your case, it manifests as a conflict between upgrading
from php-5.4.x to php-5.6.x (which is a change in the default PHP
version in ports IIRC) and individual updates of php modules from 5.4.37
to 5.4.38.  Plus a similar change from ruby20 to ruby21.

Assuming you're using the default FreeBSD package repositories, you'll
want to transition to php56.  You can beat the conflicts checking into
submission by doing something like this:

    pkg install -f php56    (which should result in php54 being
                             removed, but not the php54-modules)
    pkg upgrade

You might need to play around with this approach a bit in order to get
everything working well.  Some combination of forcing updates of key
packages, or deleting key packages, upgrading everything else and then
reinstalling what you deleted should eventually work.

Be sure to pay attention to what pkg says it is going to delete -- it is
unfortunately quite easy to end up accidentally deleting something you
actually wanted installed.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20