Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 18:50:55 +1200
From:      andrew@squiz.co.nz (Andrew McNaughton)
To:        Josh <josh2@marvin.albury.net.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: AAARGH!  failure to boot.

>Hi.
>I believe that you have a hard disk problem....
>
>Disk 0x80 Cylinder 196394 Head 63 Sector 45 could well be
>cactus. :-(
>
>Not sure where you can find further info. If it wont boot then...
>You may try a floppy boot and fsck but I've never done it.

Thanks.  At least now i know what the error message is.

I've booted up with boot.flp and gotten a shell with fixit.flp.

---------------------------------------
Fixit# fsck -n /mnt2/dev/wd0s3
** ?mnt2/dev/rwd0s3 (NO WRITE)

CANNOT READ: BLK 16
CONTINUE? yes

THE  FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22,
23, 24
, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31,
ioctl (GCINFO): Invalid argument
/mnt2/dev/rwd0s3: can't read disk label
Fixit#
---------------------------------------

On the fsck man page i found:

---------------------------------------
     -b      Use the block specified immediately after the flag as the super
             block for the filesystem.  Block 32 is usually an alternate super
             block.
---------------------------------------
"fsck -n -b 32 /mnt2/dev/wd0s3"  got me zillions of errors

then I tried it again and it said much the same as before, with sectors 32
through 47 beig unreadable.

Perhaps someone can suggest how I should proceed?  I'm not familiar with
working with the file system at this level.  I had hoped to have a little
longer before having to learn it.

I suggest the above means my disk drive is clobbering more of its data as I
go, but I don't know much about this sort of stuff, and I'd like a more
qualified opinion on this.

Bit of a disaster really.  CD writer just purchased for backups, but not
set up yet.  New server due on monday and all my work about to be
transferred across.  Someone knowledgeable might just be able to save me a
months work here.

Andrew

DISCLAIMER: The Entire Physical Universe, Including      Andrew McNaughton
This Message, May One Day Collapse Back into an            ++64 4 389 6891
Infinitesimally Small Space. Should Another Universe    andrew@squiz.co.nz
Subsequently Re-emerge, the Validity of Statements  http://www.squiz.co.nz
in This Message Cannot Be Guaranteed.            http://www.newsroom.co.nz