Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 06:34:56 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKey and locked account

> <<On Thu, 21 May 1998 18:31:48 +0200, Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa
.dk> said:

> > 1) First thing I noticed is that it's possible for someone to log
> >    into the system, even if the account is disabled ('*' in the
> >    passwd field), when S/Key is enabled for that user.
>
> Having an invalid password in the password file doesn't mean that the
> account is disabled; it just means that that user can't use a
> plain-text password to log in.  Several of us have invalid passwords
> on freefall since we always use an alternative authentication
> mechanism like S/Key.

A trick I use is to set NIS+ (or NIS) passwords to "*" which forces
users to use Kerberos authentication while using NIS+ (or NIS) for UID
to username mapping.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC