Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:53:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        GR Gaudreau <grgaud@sprint.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

Hi,

> I do believe I'm going to drop RH 5.1 Linux and install FreeBSD.

Great!

> speaking of which: what do you mean by "ports"?

There are 2 kinds of ports (you mentioned serial, parallel etc).  What we
mean by ports in the context that's been used here is taking a piece of
software and making it so that FreeBSD can compile and run it cleanly.
Once a particular port has been committed, a user simply goes to
/usr/ports/some_directory/some_program_I_want and types "make install" and
your machine will automatically fetch the source, patch it for FreeBSD,
compile, and install it.  You can then remove it (say a new version comes
out) by doing a make deinstall (or pkg_delete) and then reinstall the
latest version of the port.  Packages are a similar deal and are much like
the rpm's found in RH - a pre-compiled version of a piece of software that
can be added.  The handbook contains lots of info about using ports and
packages and you can find a list of the over 1600 ports available for
FreeBSD at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist,
 as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."
					 -   Popular Science, 1891