Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:13:26 +0200
From:      Nils Holland <nils@frozenfeelings.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updating the ports-collections (or at least parts of it)

Well, I have a FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE system running and today I read the section
in the FreeBSD handbook about the ports system. Although I have been using it
for quite a while, today was the first time I really started having an indepth
look of what I can do with it besindes simply going to the appropriate
directories and saying "make install".

In the "Compiling Ports Froth The Internet" section the handbook says how I can
get my system to install updated software that was released after 3.4-RELEASE
was released. In order to get that working, I first downloaded the update-kit
for my system. I added it with pkg_add 34update.tgz (was that correct?).

Then I though I'd try the following: I went to a FreeBSD FTP-Server, got the
tarred directory siag, deleted my original /usr/ports/math/siag directory and
untarred the newly downloaded directory into /usr/ports/math. So far so good.
Then I cd'ed into siag and said make. I was waiting to see what was about to
happen now, and it was not what I expected. As it tried to fetch the
siag-tarball, I got the message:

.tar.gz not found (on the FTP-server from where it wanted to download it.)

Note that it really said the above, it didn't say <filename>.tar.gz not found,
it simply said .tar.gz not found, without a filename. The same thing happens
with what ever other port I try to install using the procedure described above.
So, after all, it seems that I'm doing something wrong. I hope that someone
else can give me a general hint on how to solve the problem... I'm really
confused now ;-)

Greetings,
Nils