Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:47:05 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), asami@cs.berkeley.edu, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports explosion

Karl Denninger wrote in message ID
<199608130319.WAA15264@Jupiter.mcs.net>:
> Wait a minute.

> I checked out the ports into a CLEAN directory.  Why would I have to prune
> in that case?  There was nothing there to prune!

Yes there is, and you just proved it :-)

There *WAS* a patches directory (with one or more patch files) in the
past, but the patch files were removed as they were no longer
needed. However, they still exist in the repository, so CVS still
descends to the `patches' directory and check for stuff. Without the
`-P' flag, it leaves the (otherwise) empty directory behind.

> You're saying that I have to prune WHENEVER I check out, not just as an
> update, but from a clean start?  That is NOT how I understood this!

Yep. That's what we are saying/

> What I did was this:

> mkdir /disk/ports
> rm -rf /usr/ports
> ln -s /disk/ports /usr/ports	<<<< Note - nothing there; clean structure!
> setenv CVSROOT /usr/cvs
> cvs co ports			<<<< Clean extract into a NEW directory tree
> cd /usr/ports			<<<< Ok, go to the top
> make all

> That SHOULD work, no?

It'll do the checkout, but leave behind directories with *ONLY* the
CVS admin directory in it, and if it's a patches directory, it falls
over (as you have found out). I suggest you do the following:

cat > ~/.cvsrc
update -Pd
co -P
^D