Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:42:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   PGI Linux Compiler Couriosity on FreeBSD

Dear Sirs.
A couple of weeks ago I started testing Fortran 90 compilers
for FreeBSD und Linux emulation. I regret that the support of
FreeBSD for Fortran 90 compilers is that bad!

Well, I tested Fujitsu/Siemens Lahey, NAGWare and Portland Group.
Fujitsu Lahey Fortran 95 Express V5.5 for Linux works fine under
FreeBSD 4.1.1-Stable, no problems at all but the debugger has its problems.
NAGWare offers a 'native' FreeBSD compiler, but they want a customer to
pay about 20 Pounds and that is much compared to free downloads for Linux,
Solaris and other OS. I got the Linux version and I'm not very satisfied
about the code it generates and I doubt that the FreeBSD native F95 compiler
will be much better. But this compiler works also under Linux Emulation.

Well, many devolopers, many scientists and especially our scientists want
Portland Group compiler. So I concentrated my doings on this compiler for
a while, but without success. I can install the newest stuff from Portland
Group, generate a trial evaluation key and I can compile any kind of source
code, but all produced images are crashing immediately after calling them.
Then I installed the Portland Compiler testsuite on Linux, compiled the same
stuff on a Linux box and then transferred the linked image onto our FreeBSD
box and started it there - with great success! It worked fine, did all
caculations ...

We are very interested in PGI compilers and therefor I'm looking for a way to
run this great compiler suite on our FreeBSD infrastructure. It seems courios
to me that the images of a Linux-box compiled program will work on both FreeBSD
and Linux and the image produced under Linux Emulation on a FreeBSD box is
crashing (while compilation works, but no one knows what's going on ..).

Does anyone has any idea or is someone out there who has already installed
the PGI compilers (especially PGF90) on FreeBSD?

Thanks in advance,
O. Hartmann

-
MfG