Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 11:46:15 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

On Wednesday,  7 August 2002 at 11:13:44 +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:10, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> If there's one thing that you need to learn early on, it's a good
>> editor.  I did install le just to see what it was like.  I think the
>> average user would find it harder to use than Emacs.
>
> You miss the point totally.  Emacs in this context is a furfy.
> The point is that a standard FreeBSD install includes EDITOR=vi in
> its environment.

Well, this is the first you've mentioned of it.

> My strong feeling is that if a person wants vi but has something
> simpler as the initial default, they are probably from a background
> which will enable them to change the environment very quickly.
> OTOH, a person who is totally mystified by vi might well also not
> have the knowledge to change that default.

Yes, this is what we agreed to some time ago.  We've had this
discussion before, and after much deliberation the release team
decided on ee as the default editor for installation.  This choice at
least meant that just about everybody was equally dissatisfied.  I see
it's now back at vi, as you say.  I hadn't noticed that.

> I am glad you have now looked at le.  By all means change the
> default to nedit le or any other simpler more intuitive editor of
> your choice; but do not leave it as vi.

Well, it's not my choice in the base system.  I do change it in the
instant-workstation.

> IMHO emacs would be overkill, but YMMV.

MMV.  Have you tried using Emacs in a X environment?  If so, what
problems did you have?

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.