Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:43:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        Michael Porter <ocean@wavefront.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions with X

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Michael Porter wrote:

> I have a few questions regarding X windows:
> starting startx --32bpp or something, but startx --16bpp neither worked

You were *very* close, but not quite close enough.  It's actually:

startx -- -bpp 16 or startx -- -bpp 32

> The last time I tried using checkpoint to save the states of the
> programs, my system got messed up beyond belief.  I don't know if this
> was it or not, but I didn't remember doing anything else either.  Do I
> have any reason to fear saving the states again?  ie any tips or DOs or
> DO NOT DOs?
> I can't find the file like .login for X.  In .login, there's a line stty
> crt erase ^h, but when xterm starts up, I need to type this by hand.
> What's the name of the X initialization file?  If I could use
> checkpoint, this shouldn't be necessary though, but possibly handy.

Can't help you here's

> How do I use the window managers like fvwm and the others?  It defaults

Depends.  If you're going to use XDM, then you need to create an
executable file call .xsession in your $HOME directory.  If you're
starting X with startx then you'll need to create a file call .xinitrc,
also in your $HOME directory.  These files should contain the name of the
windowmanager you would like to use and any applications you would like to
start immediately when X starts.  Be careful on the order of the
applications.  The last entry in either file is called the controlling
process.  When that application exits, then your X window session will
also end.  Here's a copy of my .xinitrc:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm &
/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep

This starts X with 1 xterm window open.

> Hmmm.... that should be it.  If I can get 16 bit and try out other
> managers, I'll be one happer FreeBSDer.  : )
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Michael Porter
> ocean@wavefront.com
> port0095@tc.umn.edu

An excelent book that really helped me learn about X is X User Tools
(ISBN# 1-56592-019-8).  Hope this helps.

- - burton -

Burton Sampley
bsampley@best.com or bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
PGP key available at http://www.best.com/~bsampley/pgp.html