Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:54:06 -0500
From:      Chris Ruiz <yr.retarded@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RC1 install "Leave MBR untouched" writes MBR anyway

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> I had written:
>
>> Just did a mini install of the 8.0-RC1 ISO. After slicing, choosing "Lea=
ve
>> the Master Boot Record untouched" is ignored. A standard MBR is
>> installed.
>
> That was on a Toshiba notebook with Vista freshly installed and ACPI
> disabled. =A0I tried it twice to make sure.
>
> Installing from the same 8.0-RC1 image in qemu works fine, leaving the MB=
> alone. =A0So either the problem is a figment of my imagination, or is rar=
> enough to ignore. =A0Same thing, really.

Actually, I had the same thing happen when installing 7.2 on my
MacBook (because 8.0-betas/rcs and CURRENT panic on boot).  I selected
Leave the MBR untouched and a standard MBR that only listed my FreeBSD
partition was installed.  I had to boot my OSX install dvd and run
fdisk to fix the MBR.

-- Chris

http://twitter.com/chrisattack
http://chrisattack.com