Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 2000 18:06:52 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        pmoyer@hyperon.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with the Xircom Realport 10/100

"Philip R. Moyer" wrote:

> I apologize if I've missed something obvious here.  I cvsupped the latest
> 4.0-STABLE sources after Warner's XE and MFC commits, then rebuilt the
> system and the kernel (I checked to be sure the xe device was in my kernel
> config first).  I also edited /etc/rc.conf to add the xe0 interface
> to the ethernet startup.  Unfortunately, when I reboot, the system doesn't
> see the ethernet side of the card.
>
> Is there something else I need to do to make the Realport work with both
> the ethernet and the modem?

The xe driver must be attached and initialized before an ifconfig
could be tried, and that happens when the pccardd daemon -which
must be enabled in rc.conf- detects the card insertion, and finds
the card in the pccard.conf database. If it is found, the script
/etc/pccard_ether is run, which configures the IP address,
netmask and default route.

The pccard_ether script uses the rc.conf variable "pccard_ifconfig". In
other words, you should add these lines to /etc/rc.conf:

pccard_enable="YES"
pccard_conf="/etc/pccard.conf"    ===> check this file!
pccard_ifconfig="inet <your IP address> netmask <your netmask>"
defaultrouter="<your default router>"

Hope this helps,

-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **