Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 2002 16:03:24 -0600
From:      Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mount option "nomtime"?

    Oliver> (The reason why I'm asking: I am going to set up a new
    Oliver> newsserver (INN) on a FreeBSD machine, where all data
    Oliver> including the newsspool is stored on a NetApp Filer.)

For local INN storage you can avoid the mtime issue simply by using raw
disk partitions. For cycbufs, you don't need the filesystem -- just treat
the raw disk as the file. By bypassing the filesystem you eliminate all
of its overhead. The INN documentation describes how to set this up. You
might want to try this before committing $$$$$$$$$$ to a netapp filer.

--lyndon