Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:28:15 -0600
From:      "Micheal Patterson" <micheal@tsgincorporated.com>
To:        "Mark Jayson Alvarez" <jay2xra@yahoo.com>, "albi" <albi@scii.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I specify the ipaddress in smbfs entry in fstab?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Jayson Alvarez" <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
To: "albi" <albi@scii.nl>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 7:46 PM

> --- albi <albi@scii.nl> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> >                          mountpt
>> > //guest@samba/mp3s       /mp3
>>
>> you can probably use e.g.
>>
>> //guest@10.1.1.1/mp3s      /mp3
>
> It still doesn't work.
> I remember mounting it manually using the command
>
> mount_smbfs -I ipaddress  //guest@samba/mp3s /mtpoint
>
> I don't think substituting ipaddress(eg, 10.1.1.1) for
> "samba" in guest@samba will make any sense because I
> still have to specify its IP address using the "-I"
> option whenever I mount it manually.
>

>> in your /etc/fstab, but of course you can also add
>> your samba-server
>> in /etc/hosts
>
> tried it also, but didn't work.
>
> Anymore idea? thanks.

If you trust those with root access on your system, you can use the
/etc/nsmb.conf file and configure that with the proper info for the
remote server:

[HOST:USER:SHARE_NAME]
addr=HOST_IP
password=USER_password_on_remote_system
workgroup=domain/workgroup

... then edit your fstab to something like:

//USER@HOST/SHARE       /mountpoint        smbfs   rw,-N,-I=remote
system ip   0  0

USER, HOST, SHARE are the same as in the nsmb.conf file, and I've found
that these are often case sensitive. If the password is listed in
nsmb.conf, then the -N in the fstab entry will use that password and not
require you to enter it. Once done, a simple mount /mountpoint should
get you on your way.

Hope it helps.

--

Micheal Patterson
TSG Network Administration

Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments,
copies of the original message.