Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 19:02:15 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        hm@hcs.de, kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ijppp for isdn, ppp compression, and netgraph (also: load balancing)

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 12:31:30AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
> >
> > >From the keyboard of Juergen Lock:
> >
> > >  And the other reason i'm looking at ijppp is ppp compression.  It
> > > currently supports deflate (rfc1979) and predictor1 (rfc1978), which
> > > should at least help if the other end is running bsd or linux,
> > > but if your other end is something like an ascend or an external
> > > router (zyxel, cisco(?), there are probably more that speak this
> > > protocol), you'd want stac lzs (rfc1974), or if its a wintendo box
> > > even you'd want M$' special version of that (yes of course they
> > > invented their own `standard' again.)  So my question is, is
> > > anyone working on this?  There is (alpha) code that does this on
> > > linux,
> > >
> > >       http://www.ibh-dd.de/~beck/stuff/lzs4i4l/
> >
> > I've looked at that. Its very Linux-centric and i gave up for the moment
> > when i realized how much work it would be to port it.
> >
> > Brian's ppp over i4b does support deflate compression and i get very
> > good results out of it - too good to put more work into the above URL.
> >
> > > today...  impressive stuff.)  and is someone working on linking i4b
> > > and netgraph?
> >
> > There will be a netgraph node interface which will link an i4b B-channel
> > to netgraph. There are no plans from my side to netgraphify the D-channel
> > part of i4b.
>
> to add a negraph interface to the B channels should be quite easy.
> If you need help I can prbably almost do most of it..
>
> (I did look at it already some time ago)
>
> when this is done the netgraph PPP nodes (which can support
>  these compression types will be usable.

They could, but they don't yet, right? :)

 Maybe it still should be added to ijppp first cause debugging user
processes is easier than the kernel...  and at the usual isdn bri
speeds a user process should still be pretty fast enough.

 Regards,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)