Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 04:07:27 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
Cc:        Richard Ward <mh@homenetweb.com>, Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Safe SSH logins from public, untrusted Windows computers

Matt Piechota wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> The only problem I see is keyboards being different.  I personally type
> much quicker on IBM101 (the old-school ones) than my laptop.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm thinking candence here. Like an autograph will
still be personal because of pressure and relative acceleration and
stuff (yep, did not really pay attention that time :), so could typing
be thanks to ones rhythm.

Too bad keyboards don't come with (gradient) pressure sensitive  key ;).
Yet.

Still... if it ain't got that (i.e. your) swing, it don't mean a thing!

The absolute speed might differ wildly, but would the same hold for the
relative interkey speed patterns? As long as we're not talking dvorak,
german, french or whatever key layouts ones typing rhythm should be more
or less equal. Just sped up or slowed down a bit, is all.

But if it is feasible then all passwords, or rather usernames as first
line of defence, could be one-pass. Just select a random sentence out
of some some suitable volume and ask for it to be typed in.

Roelof