Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 12:22:01 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Note on my experience with Netscape 4.6

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 08:09:19AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> "John S. Dyson" wrote:
> >
> > Gang,
> >         Didn't know where to post this, so just thought
> >         that I'd tell you that if you are running the
> >         Linux version of 4.6, give the FreeBSD version a
> >         try if you can.  It really seems LOTS faster on
> >         startup, and might even be faster in general for
> >         some reason.
> >

> Thanks for the tip.
>
> Have they fixed the crap text search algorithm yet? With 4.5 you
> measure the search time for large (couple of hundred KB) HTML docs in
> minutes!

Actually, this does not seem to be a problem with the search
algorithm, but rather with something in the redraw code.  The long
search time is due to memory use and swapping; I don't know exactly
how it manage to use memory, though.

I do know the workaround, though: Move the requester where you enter
the search term outside the window where you have the actual webpage.
(It is one of the weirdest bugs I know of...)

Eivind.