Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:22:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   config KERNEL

I'm trying to follow along with UPDATING and I'm going from 3.4-stable to
4.0 stable. The kind of errors I'm getting are really impossible to search
fbsd's site for. Can someone please direct to documentation or tell me
what I'm doing wrong with how the kernel must now be configured?

I had quite a few more errors like 'controller obsolete use device' those
were easy to change. But since I now use device don't I need to create
these in /dev? If so do I need to 'sh MAKEDEV xxx' for every single device
in /dev!? I see I need to do something with my 'wd's but what? The
instructions in UPDATING makes it look like I have a lot of typing to do
to recreate each device.

config: line 29: root/dump/swap specifications obsolete
config: line 37: syntax error
config: line 38: fdc 0 not defined
config: line 39: fdc 0 not defined
config: line 43: syntax error
config: line 44: wdc 0 not defined
config: line 45: wdc 0 not defined
config: line 47: syntax error
config: line 48: wdc 1 not defined
config: line 49: wdc 1 not defined
config: line 58: syntax error
config: line 59: syntax error
config: line 60: Obsolete keyword 'conflicts' found
config: line 67: syntax error
config: line 76: syntax error
config: line 77: syntax error
config: line 78: syntax error
config: line 79: syntax error
config: line 82: syntax error
TRUMAN:53: unknown option "ATAPI_STATIC"
TRUMAN:52: unknown option "ATAPI"
TRUMAN:42: unknown option "CMD640"
TRUMAN:21: unknown option "FAILSAFE"
WARNING: The wd  driver is obsolete.  Please use the atadisk driver!
Unknown options used - it is VERY important that you do
         make clean && make depend
before recompiling
Warning: device "pnp" is unknown
Warning: device "acd" is unknown
Warning: device "pn" is unknown
Warning: pseudo-device "bpfilter" is unknown

Thanks in advance for pointing out what I'm sure is the obvious.
Fbsd.org should do an FAQ on updating. I didn't see a whole lot in
searching.

David
doc@wcug.wwu.edu
Washington State Resident