Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 2014 17:27:58 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Who was the mental genius

On 6/06/2014 11:05 AM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 15:09:53 -0500
> Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> That decided it was a good idea to completely break ports to force
>> people to upgrade?  You couldn't come up with a warning system
>> instead of outright breaking ports?  The idiots are apparently
>> running the asylum.  {{sigh}}
>>
> this is the reason why I am asking for versions on the ports tree since
> a decade. Ok, we have the revision now. Just go back in the revision
> until it works. It is a good practice to make a note of the revision of
> the running ports tree you have before updating it.
>
> Erich

Paul,
I would echo Enrich's advise.  Occassionally over the last 18 months my
ports tree build (of 487 ports) would fail.  A workaround, for me, was
to update the ports tree and then revert /usr/ports/Mk - sometimes I'd
search through the svn logs for a clue, but more recently I'd revert a
week at a time.  This being done to get something urgent out of the way
until a PR or fix was acted upon, and the folks supporting ports
meta-system are extremely responsive.  Of course if a port needs
something that was changed under /usr/ports/Mk then you'll probably have
to revert the port as well and change the VERSION info as needed - this
is time-consuming and you really need to set aside some time for
testing.  Its a real kludge but if you're stuck...

As I recall the change to ports to use a different make was tied to EOL
for 8.3, seems reasonable though something of a paradigm shift for ol'
timers (I'm a 2.2.5 person) that are used to building ports on a system
long after the base system has been EOL.

However it does lend itself to the argument that if changes to the ports
system is tied to the base operating system, then the meta-ports ie
/usr/ports/Mk should also.  Unfortunately release management of the
ports meta-system, after a decade, remains elusive.  Though it should be
noted that preparatory communication is improving - thanks to the team
and Eitan's contributions.

During some side-conversations I was surprised to learn that there is
some back-porting of fixes taking place in the ports branches ref:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/branches/2014Q2/  (thanks to Guido for bringing that to our attention). So maybe this is your starting point and svn update the particular ports you require is another option (as a temporary workaround)?

Dewayne.