Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 22:27:29 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        fbsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ANSWERED->Re: kernel will NOT build! darn it!!!

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 02:25:49PM +1000, Keith Spencer wrote:
> Hi all,
> It was some wierd hardware hassle that wouldn't let me
> build.
> I swapped the drive into another machine and voila!

I don't think so.  More likely was you were trying to use 'config;
make' to build a kernel for a later version of FreeBSD than is
installed on the system at the time (e.g. trying to build a
4.3-RELEASE kernel on a 4.1-RELEASE machine).  This is why you're
supposed to use 'make buildkernel' and friends (see the handbook for
the full, correct, upgrade procedure) instead of 'config' and 'make'
when you update your sources.

Kris

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip--