Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:24:32 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Michael Class <michael_class@hp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network performance-problem

Michael Class wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i am seeing a problem with 5.0-current (from 14.12.00) and a 3COM
> 3CCFE575CT Lancard (pc-cardbus) using the xl-driver.

[snip]

> Why behaves my FreeBSD-machines worse then the other boxes? Any Ideas?

Make sure you are running with the TCP/IP NewReno optimisation turned
off.  There are bugs in the TCP/IP NewReno code that result in bad
packets and hence lots of retransmission with generally reduced network
performance.

I think its meant to be the default now in -CURRENT (to have NewReno off)
but I'm not sure if PHK has disabled it yet.

$ cat /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nonewreno.sh
#!/bin/sh
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.newreno=0
echo -n " no_newreno"

$ sysctl net.inet.tcp.newreno
net.inet.tcp.newreno: 0

One day hopefully NewReno may be fixed as it sounded worthwhile.

See Poul's messages in the freebsd-current archives.