Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 19:37:58 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X under FreeBSD and Linux

Chris Fedde wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My comments are mixed in below...
>
> Evren Yurtesen writes:
>     Hello,
>
>     I have a p200MMX with 24MB RAM and S3 Virge 2MB graphics adapter.
>     I use both FreeBSD and Windows on the same machine.
>
>     But as far as I have found out Windows is working far faster than
>     FreeBSD.
>
>     For example I run Netscape on Windows and FreeBSD (even the same
>     version)
>     and FreeBSD is getting frozen for a while and using hard drive so much
>     (possible swapping?) and after it everything is working slowly, and even
>
> With netscape running start  "vmstat 5" in a separate terminal window.
> When "FreeBSD is getting frozen" do you see much activity?  That can
> indicate a memory shortage.
>
>     [...]
>     One of my friend told me that his Redhat Linux was working far faster
>     than Windows in his machine. Can this be true?
>
> Sure. Unix systems work best when there is enough core memory for
> all active processes and their data.  If you are seeing lots activity
> in vmstat as you use your system then I'd say you are short of
> memory.  Using "ps -auxww | less" and looking at the RSS column I
> calculate that my Xserver is using 18Meg and Netscape is using
> 13Meg or 31Meg.  If this was your case then your system will page
> every time netscape wants to draw something on the window.
>
> Get as much memory as you can afford.  If you have to choose get
> lots of slow cheep memory rather than a small amount of fast
> memory.
>
>     by the way what can be wrong with my computer?
>
> The linux vs. windows vs. freebsd argument is a red herring.  Both
> Linux and FreeBSD will have poor performance when they are starved
> for memory.  Windows is performing better in your case because
> netscape esentially has the whole computer to itself when it is
> up.
>
>     Evren Yurtesen
>     yurtesen@ispro.net.tr
> __
> Chris Fedde       <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
> 303 773 9134

On may 486 at 100Mz, 32Mb, KDE+netscape == Win98+netscape. However, I like
to crunch seti numbers, oops, netscape page faults like a M*^^%*. I need an
article, reference book, something, about load balancing. Maybe I can find
some RAM under the table but I don't think so. Icky stuff for me. Never had
to run the VMS system I was on.

-d