Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 19:25:46 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From:      Steve Gibson <steve@aries.interspace.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reboot Memory Faults

I've got a 2.1 Release machine which, when it tries to start up the
system daemons at boot, core dumps all of them with a memory fault.
Once it gets past these, I get a login prompt, but when I try to log in,
login exits on signal 11. The machine has been running for about 7 months
without a problem. It's a P133 with 64MB RAM and 256K burst cache. I've
replaced memory and cache, and tried the hard disk in another(working)
machine, and I get the same problems. I've also tried booting with a
number of kernels, including the generic one, and I get the same problem.
The only time the problem seems to go away is when I boot with the
install floppy (so that I can use the fixit disk).

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

---
Interspace Australia Pty Ltd