Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:05:45 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Eli Lazich <elazich@loopback.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO 2.2.5

> I have a 3com 3c589b ethernet card that appears to be recognized as zp0
> but is not configurable if I run ifconfig -a.

How do you know it's recognized?  It's possible that the configuration
values stored in the card's EEPROM are different than what the FreeBSD
driver expects.  The zp0 driver is not a 'PCMCIA/generic' driver, so it
uses the card's own built-in configuratio (port, IRQ, IOMEM) values to
configure the card, similar to a 'point driver' in DOS.

> Under PAO-2.2.2 it was configured as ep0.

The default FreeBSD boot floppy doesn't have generic PCCARD support in
it.  You need to build a special kernel with PCCARD support (which will
cause your ethernet driver to be ep0, like in PAO.)

> I also have a Motorola Montana Modem that does not get
> recognized at all.

See above.  The boot floppy laptop drivers are zp0/ze0, and work with
the 3Com 589 and IBM Info-mover cards respectively.  No other
laptop/PCMCIA cards are supported on the boot floppy.

Nate