Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 12:39:08 -0700
From:      Jeffrey Hsu <hsu>
To:        gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        andrew@whine.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A few questions

  It be nice if you could still run X while in secure mode 1 (or perhaps we
  should add an extra secure level so you could do this?) without having
  all of /dev/mem R/W.

XFree86 is atypical in that most workstation vendors provide fb
support inside the kernel for their X servers, hence there's no
need for kludges like mmapping /dev/mem (instead you get os specific
kludges like opening /dev/fb and doing kludgy ioctls on the fb
device).  Ditto for input devices like mice and keyboard.  Given
the number of devices and operating systems XFree86 supports, I'm
not sure putting everything below user level is practical.