Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 01:34:49 -0400
From:      matthew jennings <alchemic@geocities.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading sound drivers from 2.2.6-RELEASE

> > I recently installed the Linux Quake binaries, and have managed to get
> > 'quake.x11' to work with no problems, except for its lack of sound
> > output. I've gleaned that Quake needs a sound driver with mmap()able DMA
> > buffer support, but I'm not quite sure how to go about getting such a
> > driver. I'm running 2.2.6-RELEASE and using the included sound drivers
> > snd0, sb0, sbxvi0, and sbmidi0. Is there a directory on the FTP site
> > from which I can download the updated drivers? Anyplace else I might be
> > able to find them? I'd greatly appreciate any and all advice in this
> > area.
>
> Take a look in the mail archives for Darius's Quake page.  I've posted the
> URL a few times, but don't have it handy.

I've looked at that page before and I just looked at it again. All it
says is the following: "If you want sound you need a sound driver
capable of supporting mmap()able DMA buffers, ie the -current sound
drivers, Luigi's patches don't do this (maybe you could do it? :)" This
is information that I knew prior to asking the list. My question is, is
there some way I can upgrade my sound drivers to the ones present in
3.0-CURRENT? Or is this impossible without upgrading the entire system?

	...!matthew jennings