Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:23:51 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Pedro J. Lobo" <pjlobo@euitt.upm.es>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 802.1Q VLANs

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Garrett Wollman wrote:

><<On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:04:29 -0500 (EST), "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net> said:
>
>> I'm not sure we want to have the drivers always accept large
>> packets, just because we've compiled a kernel with VLAN devices in it.
>
>Not because we've compiled a kernel with VLAN devices in it; because
>we've compiled a kernel with a NIC driver that supports large packets.

But the drivers won't accept *all* large packets! I mean, the driver must
make sure that the NIC won't drop oversized frames so it can examine them,
but if it sees a 1522-byte frame that doesn't belong to a 802.1Q VLAN it
will drop that frame (as well as any frame longer than 1522 bytes).

To put it in short, no frame with more than 1500 bytes of payload will be
accepted.

Cheers,

	Pedro.

Pedro José Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 91 336 78 19
Centro de Cálculo                       Fax:    +34 91 331 92 29
E.U.I.T. Telecomunicación               e-mail: pjlobo@euitt.upm.es
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Ctra. de Valencia, Km. 7                E-28031 Madrid - España / Spain