Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:28:43 +0200
From:      turbo23 <turbo23@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   several problems with 4.1x

Hello

I hope someone can help me. I'm using freebsd 4.1.1

1) on startup the pc stops two times. the first time: standard daemons, the
second time when initializing the standard-packages. i have to cancel with
ctrl-c.

2) when logging in remotely with telnet it takes 2 minutes until the login
prompt finally appears.
it cannot be a reverse or dns problem because there is no timeout. it simply
takes 2 minutes until the login prompt appears.
my commands:
telnet 192.168.66.1
(192.168.66.1 is my server's static ip-adress at rl0 (= eth0 in linux)
no dns involved. if the ip-adresses belong to the same segment (and they
do, the second ip is 192.168.66.10/24) there are only arp calls.
thus, it doesnt seem to be an dns problem.

3) similar problem with pppd. it takes 1 minute until a modem-led starts to
blink. that means it takes 1 minute to send the command via the serial
interface to the modem... no tcp/ip or ethernet involved.. just a handshake.
(i need pppd because i want to use connectd. i dont have a permanent
connection, the modem is attached to my bsd machine.
windows users can dial directly by using a gui which is available for
windows. for windows users there is no difference to a "local" modem.)

4) nat doesnt work. no idea why it doesnt... linux is a 1000 times easier.

5) i can mount my primary ext2 partition, but some directories/files are
corrupt. some directories are displayed as files?!?!
when booting linux no files are corrupt.
(ext2fs is enabled in the kernel)

6) samba doesnt work. i am using the config-file that was working in linux,
but it doesnt work in bsd.
bsd accepts the configuration, but i cant access anything.

7) i cant understand why some programs use /etc, and some use
/usr/local/etc, even though they are both daemons for example.
is there a rule?

thank you for your help
thomas