Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 02:05:05 -0800
From:      brian@worldcontrol.com
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reclaiming irqs for unsupported PCI hardware?

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 12:12:51PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> You said "why don't you lazy bastards fix this".  We said "we are too
> bloody busy, fix it yourself".

Here is the email that I sent on the subject.  Can you
find the quoted or paraphrased text within it:

>From brian@top.worldcontrol.com Tue Nov  3 05:25:39 1998
>Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 05:25:39 -0800
>From: Brian Litzinger <brian@top.worldcontrol.com>
>To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>Subject: PC Cards services without an IRQ?
>
>I'm short IRQs on my laptop.  Would it be feasible to have
>the pccard services manager not rely on having one for itself?
>
>I'm suggesting that instead, when I change cards, I run a
>program so the system will rescan the cardbus.
>
>Unless this is impossible, or already implemented in some way
>I have not discovered, I'd like to take a stab at implementing
>it.
>
>On the other hand, if there is "no f*cking way" it will every
>be accepted into the source tree, let me know, and I'll look
>for another solution.
>
>(I've given up on maintaining changes outside of the main tree)
>
>--
>Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>

You see that I'm being consistent with my experience of
checking before hand to see if the "people in power" will
accept a particular change.

In my records, I did not receive any responses to the query.
Hence my "nada" comment in the posting you are quoting.

You'll also note the "no f*cking way" theoretical response I attribute
to those "people in power".  Why are the "people in power" so
angry all the time?

My take on the problem has been that Nate Williams and the PAO people
don't get along.

I suspect much progress could be made by rectifying that problem
first.

> > The main thing that keeps me from doing so, is such changes will never
> > be imported into FreeBSD unless the people with the power agree.
>
> Crap.  Submit the patches, fix them when they break other peoples'
> hardware, and they'll get committed.

I've found that unless the "people in power" like your idea you might
as well not waste your time.

Apparently, the PAO people have a solution for my particular problem.
However, its hard to track -current and PAO at the same time. 8-(

Have things changed?

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>