Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 1996 02:33:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian>
To:        current, hackers
Subject:   anyone have a clue on this bug?

It's bitten us several times on recent -current machines..

due to some problem, a system dies..
(bad h/w or whatever..)
on reboot it is discovered that some the files that were open at
the time of the reboot have been deleted by fsck
(i.e. they had 0 references or something)

it's particulary annoying when it deletes the console or some other
useful device.. I've mainly seen it with devices,
but I think I have also seen directories mutating into devices
and files doing other odd things..

this is all with a 3 week old -current..
I will be upgrading the systems in the next day or so..
so if it's known but fixed.. I'll get it then..

julian