Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:58:41 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gateway/workstation without monitor?

I have an idea I am sure  has been implemented, but I would just like to
gather some details on how to do it.  I would like to build a new BSD box,
or else confiscate my dad's old P100.  I dunno, maybe that's too slow.
Anyway, I don't want to buy a monitor right now, and if I can get away
without a video card for a while, that would be even better.  I would like
to set this up as a gateway/remote workstation I can plug my laptop into.

Anyway, here is the question: how hard is it to install BSD on a box without
a monitor?  What would I need?  Just a null modem cable?  Or would it be
such a pain it would be better to use a monitor and video card and then take
them out?  I would like to just buy the MB, CPU, HD, ethernet (maybe later)
and that't it, if possible.  Is this doable ?

jcm
--
"That depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is." -President Bill Clinton

"I don't know what you mean by the word 'ask.'" -CEO Bill Gates