Date:      Fri, 03 Sep 1999 15:41:45 -0400
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: df inconsistency

>df output on my system:
>Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>/dev/wd1s1e   1113967   929244    95606    91%    /usr
>
>Problem is that (total blocks) - (used blocks) does not equal
>(available blocks)
>1113967 - 929244 = 184723 = 83%
>
>95606/1113967 = 9% (so the inverse is 91%)
>
>So it appears that 89117 are "unavailable" but not counted as "used".

This is intentional.  The difference is called MINFREE and is the amount
of space reserved from normal users.  (After df says you're full, root
can continue writing until you're really full.)  See newfs(8) and
tunefs(8) under -m minfree.  The purpose if I remember correctly is to
prevent the filesystem from becoming horribly fragmented and slowing to
a crawl.

>I don't currently have time to pursue this in source code.  My daughter
>died in a car accident in July and I'm trying to get Florida to bring
>charges against the driver and her mother.  And I moved back to
>Kentucky and am actively looking for work.  If no one else can answer
>this, I'll get to it in a couple months...

I'm sorry about your daughter.  I lost a daughter a couple years ago
myself.  Time helps, a little.  Knowing she's now in a better place
and in good hands helps more.  Someday I'll see her again...

-Mitch