Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:40:20 -0600
From:      nathan <beemern@ksu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel threads

hmmm
i've been playing a bit with threads.  I'm running 3.3-RELEASE + SMP
(dual
pIII/450's)
anyway... i didn't mess with installing the linux_threads port
i noticed that there already is a pthread.h header file on my system
i was looking at the Parallel Processing HOWTO from the LDP (linux
documentation project)
i compiled and ran their sample code for computing Pi (the linear
version)
and THEN i dl'd /compiled/ ran the pthread version of computing Pi by
doing a

gcc -pthread file.c

it compiled right away and ran fine.

comparing "time" between the two binaries, i got a 16% increase in speed
using
the pthread version versus the linear version.

my question... what does all this mean as it relates to this thread? (no
pun
intended)
i ran across something somewhere where the linux_threads port was
outdated, or
already included in the 3.x versions..

just curious as to what all this means, as the code source was from a
Linux
HOWTO.

thanks!