Date:      05 Jun 2002 23:05:46 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Need to find explanation for maillog messages

--=-on/AnmlFFfEM0n8NZ/nw

Hi Richard,
   Thanks for the reply.

Running mailq returns nothing, I'm afrard:

~ $ mailq
/var/spool/mqueue is empty
		Total requests: 0
~ $=20

Also, the machine from which this error is occurring has Evolution
running fine on it, that is to say, I can send & receive e-mail without
problems (as is the case with this e-mail). However, no e-mail that's
composed from the command line - mail -v & sendmail -v works, and
corresponding messages like the one in my post appear as a result.

Do let me know if what I've said here does enough to clarify matters or
not, okay?

Thanks again.

Stacey

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 17:04, Morse, Richard E. wrote:
> S. Roberts [mailto:sroberts@dsl.pipex.com] wrote:
> >=20
> > Hello,
> >      Is there somewhere I can get simple explanations to the messages
> > that appear in /var/log/maillog?
>=20
> > Jun  5 00:06:50 <snip> sm-msp-queue[49856]: g4UNFwRm077651: to=3D<snip>=
,
> > delay=3D4+23:50:38, xdelay=3D00:00:00, mailer=3Drelay, pri=3D22351358,
> > relay=3Dlocalhost.<snip>., dsn=3D4.0.0, stat=3DDeferred: Permission den=
ied
>=20
> Have you tried typing 'mailq' as root?  This will explain what is still
> sitting in your mail queue, and should tell you the errors that were
> encountered.  The stat field seems to be saying that the mailer (called
> 'relay') had a 'permission denied' error while trying to send the mail.  =
On
> my machine, based on /etc/mail/sendmail.cf, the relay mailer forwards mai=
> to a different machine.  You should check your sendmail.cf to see if that
> holds.  It looks, however, as though the problem is on the other end.  If
> you are having problems receiving mail, then see if you can find an error
> message with mailer=3Dlocal, as this might tell you more where the proble=
ms
> are.
>=20
> Of course, I could be wrong -- I've only read a tiny bit of the Sendmail
> book, and I'm really guessing here...
>=20
> HTH,
> Ricky
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer