Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 02:50:05 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        stefanos@e-scape.net
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the union, 1999.

Kiakas wrote:

> You wrote:
> > I've got a better idea.  Let's look at this from the point of view
> > that it has been discussed over and over again before, long before
> > you crowd of newbies ever flocked in here, and
> >
> > WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET RID OF THE DAEMON!
>
>         I wasn't around back then, so stop yelling!
>
>         Everything changes the source code, the algorithms, the ports
> collection, etc. Why? How about marketing? What is so sacred about the
> marketing material that it cannot change? Should we not try and improve
> everything about FreeBSD? Should we just worry about the technical
> aspects, and then wonder why FreeBSD is not getting the recognition it
> deserves.

Chuck is not a technical aspect. Is a personal one. We *love* Chuck.
Changing it to something else sounds like giving up things we like
because of commercial reasons, and this is *not* a commercial os.
Like it was said, if you want to go commercial, go commercial and
use FreeBSD under another name and with another mascot. The license
allows you to do so.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	If you sell your soul to the Devil and all you get is an MCSE from
it, you haven't gotten market rate.