Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:10:28 -0400
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgraded Perl; and lo, errors cause exim to fail

Is anyone else seeing errorors like this:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libperl.so" not found, required by "exim"

after upgrading Perl when prompted by portversion?

I notice that ld-elf.so.1 has two versions:

55 -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  153244 Jun  3 14:05 ld-elf.so.1
54 -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  153244 Apr  5 14:58 ld-elf.so.1.old

yet, of course, they do differ.

Exim uses (IIRC) pcre; but that doesn't seem to be implicated. Anyone
have any suggestions for fixing this, other than de- and then re-
installing Exim and/or Perl?

Now that I think of it a bit more, perhaps the answer is in this
direction:

use.perl system or use.perl port

uname -a
FreeBSD vox.chthonixia.net 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Mon Jun
27 14:40:02 EDT 2005
root@vox.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VOX  i386

--
I don't care what you think. This is not a stylishly insouciant stroll
out of the jungle, here. It's more like we've fallen out of our trees