Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:19:23 -0500
From:      "Mark Turpin" <mturpin@spel.com>
To:        "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install procedure of FreeBSD on Alpha

>the system then tries to access the floppy, and returns:
>
>block 0 of dva0 is not a valid boot block
>bootstrap failure

You might not have the alpha boot disk?

Right now I don't think that the alpha install disk works.  It'll boot but
it won't install if the disk doesn't have a  FreeBSD/alpha disklabel.

The most recent SNAP available on ftp.freebsd.org is
3.0-19990114-SNAP, it's in /pub/FreeBSD/releases/snapshots/alpha.   You can
get the disk and try but I think it's broken.   You'll need the boot.flp and
the mfsroot.flp images to boot.  You can then do a boot dva0 and it will
prompt you for the mfsroot floppy.

Mark