Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 20:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing ports maintainers

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > If this is being done because Kris can't get a response when he wants
> > changes, and he doesn't want to wait, I think that possibly he's doing
> > folks a disservice, because I think some mainatainer is probably better
> > than none at all, and for the majority of what he's doing, that's going to
> > be the ultimate effect.
>
> 	There are two benefits I can see for removing an inactive maintainer.
> One, it gives people who need information or would like to suggest
> improvements a channel that is more likely to be responsive than an
> inactive maintainer. The other is that it will encourage someone who
> takes an interest in a port to step forward and volunteer to maintain
> it.

OK.  I wanted to see it get a bit more open discussion.  I won't object
any more to it.

> Doug

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.