Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 12:57:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NEC 4X 7 CD Changer

I just picked up a new NEC Multispin 4X 7 CD changer for about $35CDN to
replace my old Toshiba 1X drive. On restart my FreeBSD system sees the
CD changer, and all 7 LUNs, plus my other Toshiba 4X. So we have something
like this:

SCSI 4 - Toshiba 4X cd0
SCSI 5 - NEC 4X changer cd1 ....cd7

So I run the MAKEDEV script to add the additional /dev entries, on the last
one MAKEDEV cd7 I get the following error:

Bad unit for disk in: cd7

I quick look at MAKEDEV show it only 7 CD-ROM's (cd0 - cd6). I modified
MAKEDEV to allow 7 CD-ROM's (cd0-cd7). That seem to work fine, execpt I
have to issue the mount command twice, since it times out the first time.
Maybe I should add SLOW_SCSI/SCSI_DELAY <?> in the kernal and re-compile ?

I would perfer to use the ch driver, Do I have to hard-wire it down in the
kernel ?  If you can point me in the right directions please let me know ?
I already tried man 4 ch.

--
Paul Griffith - paulg@interlog.com