Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 18:37:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Mary Lee <lyl001@coes.LaTech.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Mary Lee wrote:
> I am trying to configure a pentium 90 with 24 megs of ram to work as a
> gateway for a local area network...

	I'd suggest that you make the RAM 32MB or 48MB.  You might hit
swap and slow down occationally otherwise.  (Unless this is a very small
network.)

> i have 2 pnp 10/100 pci network cards, and an hp vectra xm series 3 5/90
> onboard lancard (3 lan cards all togeather)
> This is the problem...
> on bootup:
> rl0 <RealTek...>rev 0x10 int a irq 9 on pci 0.2.0
> Ethernet Address: 00:00:e8:81:32:31
> autoneg not complete, no carrier
> rl1<RealTek...>rev 0x10 int a irq 9 on pci 0.2.0
> Ethernet Address: 00:00:e8:81:32:d1
> autoneg not complete, no carrier
> lnc1 <PCNet pci...> rev 0x02 int a irq 9 pci 0.6.0
> pcnet -32 VL-Bus address 08:00:09:c3:d1:fc
> lnc1 Heartbeat error --SQE test failed
> loss of carrier during transmit -- Net error?

> none of these cards are conected, and i haven't figured out how to
> configure the pnp cards i boot -c , and type pnp 1 os, but nothing,
> i'm not sure the bois has pnp support, but it does asign the rt mac addrss
> for the lan card....

	I can't help with the PnP stuff, but it looks to me like your
ethernet card is a 10/100 card that can't figure out if it needs to
operate as a 10Mb/s or 100Mb/s card.  This could be something as simple as
needing to plug it into a hub before turning it on.

						Good luck,
						Jaime