Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 21:23:51 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        "Miroslav Pendev" <shadow@CPE0004761ac738-CM00109515bc65.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>, "questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Matthew Plews" <plews@bigpond.net.au>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.6 Install Problem

--==_Exmh_-1736512773P

If memory serves me right, "Philip J. Koenig" wrote:

> Good point.  If people were seriously talking over on -security about
> a new ISO to incorporate that Apache patch,

None of those people were on the release engineering or port manager
teams, which are the bodies who would be ultimately responsible for
doing the work.  :-p

> I'd definitely suggest
> releasing 4.6a with something to allow new installers to turn on the
> DMA switch before running the install from an IDE CDROM.

I wrote an errata note with a workaround for this, and posted a pointer
to stable@ earlier today.  Feedback is encouraged before I commit this
to the release documentation and Web site, hopefully in the next day or
so:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/doc/errata/article.pdf

It sounds like you had something more automatic in mind.  This involves
code that doesn't exist.  Until someone writes it, this is a moot point.

(Better would be to get sos@ a block of time and the right equipment to
troubleshoot this problem and "really" fix it.  The trick, of course,
is the time.)

> There may be some political/logistical issues I'm not aware of
> though, like mirror sites and so forth, so the RE people will have to
> make that call.

The rest of this email is my own personal opinion, and doesn't
necessarily reflect that of anyone else on the RE team.

OK.  One practical issue is that two of the release engineers (including
the RE team lead) are currently out of email contact.  The remaining
three of us haven't discussed this issue...at this time, we have no
plans to re-release any part of 4.6.

It's not as easy as re-running "make release".  There's the very
significant issues of doing another QA cycle on a re-release, etc., not
to mention the disruption to vendors' production schedules.

I'm not saying "no, it won't happen", but I think it's unlikely.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1736512773P

--==_Exmh_-1736512773P--