Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:05:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest kernel

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Zach Heilig wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 17, 1998 at 04:41:20PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > > Sorry if you've covered this all before - the regular fixit crewe seem to have
> > > disappeared for the night ;-) - So I'll have to do <g>
> >
> > Appreciate the help, I don't know what I might be doing wrong.  /etc/rc
> > keeps on telling me the same thing I get when I go into single user with
> > now (now preciously hoarded) good kernel single-user and try to save the
> > kernel dump --- no kernel dump.  When I'm in ddb, and call panic, then
> > continue, it says it can't get the smp lock, doesn't do the dump at all,
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > and goes directly to reset.  No dump.
>
> It does make the dump, right?

No, it doesn't make the dump, that's the whole point.

> If it is getting that far,

It ISN'T getting that far.

> you should make
> sure that 'dumpon /dev/da0s1b' happens before trying to run savecore.

There's nothing in the swap partition for savecore to act on.  No dump
being made.  Why not?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).