Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:49:57 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Owen" <cigam@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A bit of Apache direction please...

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:20:26 -0700  "Owen" wrote:
 +------------------
 | This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
 |
 | ------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C12506.EFE861A0
Especialy when there is no good reason other htan dumb defaults in your
mail client software.

 +------------------
 | and uninstalled all the apache stuff, then I rebooted, and then put back =
 | on just the apache 1.3 without the ipv6. But, it wouldn't run, and on =
 | reboot, it just says syntax error, and it can't find two folders with =
 | look like module folders. So, I think that on uninstall, some trails are =
 | left from apache and/or it's modules. Is this a fair assumption?
 +------------------

I suspect that the uninstall did not fix all the stuff added to
the config file.  Bring up a text editor and try to find the broken
lines in the file.  IMHO it is a better aproach to edit the config and
disable the modules than to use uninstall via sysinstall.

 +------------------
 | Also, with just the barebones Apache, will it run noticeably different =
 | without all of the modules/add-ons?
 | Would the speed problem be more of a connection thing? Or would it be =
 | more involved with my system?
 | Mind you, I'm just serving basic non-cgi/php/asp/etc. webpages with a =
 | bit of flash.

Apache does not need any fancy extensions to just serve flat files.
Still there should not be much impact on the overall performance
of flat files if no complex hits are being served at the same time
(modulo cacheing effects) It can be darn fast at it too.  there
are some web benchmarking tools in the ports collection that can
help you isolate your problem.

good luck

--
    Chris Fedde