Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:07:59 +0000
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gateway/workstation without monitor?

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 01:58:41PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:

> I have an idea I am sure  has been implemented, but I would just like to
> gather some details on how to do it.  I would like to build a new BSD box,
> or else confiscate my dad's old P100.  I dunno, maybe that's too slow.
> Anyway, I don't want to buy a monitor right now, and if I can get away
> without a video card for a while, that would be even better.  I would like
> to set this up as a gateway/remote workstation I can plug my laptop into.
>
> Anyway, here is the question: how hard is it to install BSD on a box without
> a monitor?  What would I need?  Just a null modem cable?  Or would it be
> such a pain it would be better to use a monitor and video card and then take
> them out?  I would like to just buy the MB, CPU, HD, ethernet (maybe later)
> and that't it, if possible.  Is this doable ?

One minor point first, your PC won't boot without some form of graphics
card built in, so I'd suggest either finding a ISA one lying around or just
whatever cheap one you can find. Then I'd suggest borrowing a monitor to
use during install and then just leave the pc lying around without one
while it's in use and ssh is setup :)

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org