Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 08:58:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Michael Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   X11 and /tmp

Michael Knoll writes:
 > I moved my /tmp directory to /usr/tmp, and I failed to copy the
 > permissions.  I noticed on a friends BSD box the permissions are set up as
 > drwxrwxrwt.  How do I set the t?  What does it man?

It's the "sticky" bit.  Originally, it was used for executables, it told
older versions of UNIX to save the text segment of the program in the
swap space as long as possible; this was a way to increase the
performance of system utilities that were run very often, like sh and
ls.  On a directory, it tells the system to only allow the owner of a
file to delete it, very important for tmp directories.

 > Also, I installed X11, and started XDM in a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
 > When it runs, the server(SVGA_???) goes up to 97% cpu time, and I can't log
 > in locally.  But, remote connections work, but I lose CPU clocks.
 >
 > If I start XDM from a shell as root, it all works fine.
 >
 > Where should I be automatically starting xdm on boot?

I do mine in /etc/rc.local, which is the equivalent of
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.  Here's the line I use:

	echo -n 'starting local daemons:'

	# put your local stuff here

	/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm && echo -n ' xdm'

Pretty straightforward stuff.