Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:25:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd stops logging - caught in the act

Me and my roommate saw a similar thing occuring when developing a Windows
NT EventLog -> syslogd forwarder (http://www.schizo.com/software/sislog/)
on an older 4.0-CURRENT machine and a 2.2.8-RELEASE machine..

We concluded that it appears to be if the host sending the syslog messages
is unresolvable (in our case, the DNS server could not be contacted), it
would stop logging for us. I'm not sure about any other situations.

This drove me nuts for quite a while, but since we have no home
connectivity I forgot about submitting a GNATS report later. Perhaps a
good thing to check...