Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:46:12 -0700
From:      Hal Lynch <hal@cc.usu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Block help!

At 3:01 PM -0800 3/28/01, Rick Duvall wrote:
>I am not trying to create an install cd, or floppy.  I just want a FreeBSD
>bootable cd that will boot single user to a shell prompt.  Once I can get
>that far, I will want to have a script on that that will run when it boots
>so that any dummy can put the CD in the drive, boot the machine, and just
>answer the questions asked by the script.

Rick,
I have been following this thread with interest.  I have been
trying to do something similar off and on for 3 months now.
I'm trying to make a surf-station: non-volatile files on a
bootable cd, volatile files on HD, runs only netscape.

I have asked many of the same questions as you, and received the
same answers.  I have a short stack of cd's some of which boot,
most do not.  The ones which boot use boot.flp which puts you into
the installation as you know.

I think the key here is to create your own boot.flp. Try:
	cd /usr/src
	find . -name "*boot*" -print

I think there might be some clues in there somewhere.  I was
poking around in there when my boss changed my priorities.
Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Another possibility is to post questions to the list for kernel
developers and other superstars.  I'm not sure how that would be
received but it might help.

I will ask you to do what someone asked me.  If you figure it out
write a HOWTO and tell us about it.  Of course if I ever get time to
work on this again I will do the same.

hal