Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 17:02:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        mckay@thehub.com.au, schilling@fokus.gmd.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, ken@kdm.org
Subject:   Re: Problems reading burned CDs

>From mckay@thehub.com.au Sun Jul  1 16:50:52 2001

>On Sunday, 1st July 2001, Joerg Schilling wrote:

>>>From ken@panzer.kdm.org Sun Jul  1 06:01:32 2001

>>It is really a bad idea to use dd to read a CD.

>I think it's important that the raw CD be presented in a fully readable
>format.  Then dd (and everything else) will work properly.

Please don't try to do this!

It is a known fact that these problems with TAO CD's exist.
If you change FreeBSD, then it would behave different from an other OS.

As I already said: you should not read a CD with dd but with 'readcd'.
readcd allows you to specify sectors=from-to to exclude these run-out
sectors. Future versions may even do this automatically.

>>Read README.verify & README.copy for a long answer....

>I'm still digesting this information (from the cdrecord program, if anyone
>else is looking for them).  I am assuming that 2 (or more) unreadable
>sectors are added, not that I lose 2 sectors of data.  Right?

correct.

>>>Just out of curiosity, what did you use to burn the CD?  cdrecord?

>We might either have to lie about the capacity (so that every reported byte
>can be read), or deal specially with the run out blocks (by faking them
>as nulls).

Again: please don't do that! You would only create confusion.
All people who know CD standards known about this Authors of CD drivers and
ISO-9660 filesystem should know it.

>>># cdrecord dev=1,4,0 -toc
>>>Cdrecord 1.9 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.2) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
>>
>>A really old one.....

>Old software lives on!  I'm still using 1.8, by the way.

>It also looks like you renamed your suite to: cdrtools.  I expect the
>cdrecord port maintainer didn't notice.

I don't know who this is and I expect that a port maintaner is on the
right mailing lists where this change has been discussed at least for 2 years.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling