Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 07:55:59 -0500
From:      "Conrad Sabatier" <conrads@praline.no.neosoft.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Goodbye, FreeBSD!

It makes me more than a little sad to have to announce this, but with
my cable Internet connection soon to be installed, I've started
updating my multimedia apps for Windows (even got the Win 98 upgrade
pack!), so I can take advantage of all the new, rich, multimedia
content the net now has to offer.

Unfortunately, FreeBSD has been, and I suspect always will be,
seriously lagging behind the mainstream OSes as far as multimedia,
and I'm just really tired of feeling "left out".

Three years with FreeBSD has been a real learning experience, and one
about which I certainly have no regrets, but I've decided I'm tired
of doing without all the fantastic new developments out there, not to
mention being *really* tired of the relative hassle of installing and
configuring apps for FreeBSD as compared to Windows.

So, it looks like this is the end of my love affair with FreeBSD,
folks.  I'm going back to where the good stuff is, and am really
excited about it already.  Have already setup RealPlayer G2 and
RealJukebox, both of which are absolutely fantastic to use, and
fantastically easy to install and upgrade.  It is *so* nice once
again to be able to just click on a file in my file manager, have the
associated app come up and have everything just *work*.

Maybe I'm just getting old and lazy, but I'm tired of all the work
and headaches involved in using FreeBSD (and Linux is not much
better, either; tried that, too, a while back).

I have been assimilated, I'm afraid.  :-)

Ya'all take care.  I will miss the rich hacking environment FreeBSD
offers, but I certainly won't miss feeling like the orphaned
stepchild all the time as I visit web sites whose content I'm unable
to experience, and being envious of all those great apps that are
available for other OSes.

It's been real, ya'all.  Have a good life, now.

Best wishes to all,

Conrad

P.S.  I've already unsubscribed from all my BSD mailing lists, so
anyone wishingto reply, please do so directlyto my address.  Thanks.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://www.neosoft.com/~conrads/