Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 22:40:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Jeff Jirsa <jeff@unixconsults.com>
Cc:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Is simplicity despised? WAS: What do we need in a FreeBSD desktop?

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Jeff Jirsa wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, John Bleichert wrote:
> > > I have heard good reports about nedit from people using many platforms. (memo to self:  MUST try nedit)
> > > No. you miss the point here.  Instant Workstation is an option in
> > > /stand/sysinstall.  What we are arguing about is the default editor in that
> > > install.  At the moment it is EDITOR=vi.  I think something simpler is called for.
> > Ah. nedit is an X editor so it might be inappropriate for $EDITOR. I dunno
> > what would be best for a terminal editor. I love vi, but it *is* rather
> > arcane hehe... maybe pico? At least with pico the commands are on the
> > bottom of the window by default. License may be an issue.
> Pico has the UW license, and it isn't even in the base system. Try ee. It
> has the commands at the bottom for beginners and is already in the base
> system.
> - Jeff
> --
> Jeff Jirsa
> jeff@unixconsults.com

Ah, I was going to say something similar applauding pico (tight, slight and
outta sight) and ee (commands are at the top in my case).  But I did want
to add some comments.  Pico does have just a few annoying default traits,
such as Ctrl-k chopping the entire line rather than what is to the right of
the cursor, and not having Suspend enabled.

What's this about a UW "license?"  I thought pico (and its daddy, pine) was
essential open source, and as such, freeware.

Also, don't over-estimate the utility of an $EDITOR envi variable; Don't
forget about a $PAGER variable which IMHO ought to be `less -e` instead of
the usual and unusually morbid `more.`

PS- Simplicity is *loved* -- especially by someone who is frustrated not by
difficulty but by what could easily be is not.  Is that too Yoda for y'all?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder